Fresh on the heels of a GeorgetownUniversity outbreak, at least 130 University of Southern California students were infected over the weekend with what health officials believe is the norovirus, the Daily Trojan reports. School officials notified students of the outbreak via their emergency text message system Saturday morning and also warned sick students not to attend the Oregon game because the virus easily spreads with person-to-person contact.
The school briefly closed a cafeteria, but health officials quickly determined it was not a foodborne sickness. Instead, many students likely picked up the bug from hallmates or acquaintances. "Once someone on the floor got it, everyone got it," said a sickened freshman.
Meanwhile, USC ordered 3,000 bottles of hand sanitizer and 2,000 containers of sanitizing wipes to distribute today and throughout the week to prevent any more outbreaks.