As a number of students and parents realized this weekend, there's nothing that says "Welcome to Duke" quite like food poisoning. Thirteen people—parents and students—reported feeling sick after eating at various locations on campus, and three students were hospitalized, the Chronicle reported. At least five students who got sick were from one dorm. Food from cafeterias, various off-campus eateries, or opening weekend picnic/luncheon events might have been to blame.
School and health officials do not think all the cases are related. One said the number was not, as the C hronicle put it, a "noteworthy aberration."