A Dangerous Germ on Terrapin Turf

An antibiotic-resistant germ has crept onto the University of Maryland campus.

By + More

The Diamondback reports today that a student was diagnosed with Staphylococcus aureus, also known as a staph infection, and has been hospitalized for several days. In the last week, the infection has put communities in Virginia and Maryland on edge after "many" high school students were reported contracting the germ. One student in southern Virginia died.

In Maryland, university officials are not taking any chances. They are throwing out the infected student's bathroom belongings and have ordered a fumigation of her suitemates' rooms and issued letters to students with hygiene tips to avoid catching the infection.