The TV program was hosted by Steven Roy Goodman, a Washington, D.C.-based educational consultant, author, and admissions strategist. Also appearing on the show with me was Anne Weeks, upper school head of The Salisbury School, a private independent school located in Salisbury, Md.
The show focused on how parents and prospective college students should use the Best Colleges rankings when applying to college—and the importance of understanding that the rankings should only be used as one tool in the college search process to find the right school.
Here are some of the key questions that were discussed during the interview:
• Are the rankings primarily for students or families?
• How are the rankings compiled?
• How do colleges use the rankings?
• What is the best way to use the college rankings?
• Do schools report their data accurately to U.S. News?
• What are some of the differences between the education at a private independent high school and a public high school?
• Where are the U.S. News Best Colleges rankings headed in the future?
The show will be broadcast in early December on UDC TV, Channel 19, of the University of the District of Columbia, and is also scheduled to run on Voice of America in February 2013. The audio portion will be available via Apple's iTunes store in early December.